History of BMC

Uppsala Biomedical Center (BMC) was planned in the late 1950´s in order to gather the old preclinical institutions, all of which were growing rapidly due to the increasing number of students and due to new technology requiring better security and more effective laboratories.

The BMC was created by the well-known Swedish architect, Paul Hedqvist (1895-1977) in close cooperation with Karl-Johan Öbrink (1918-1998), professor in physiology in Uppsala. Hedqvist and Öbrink had a vision of “integrated integrity”, which meant that cooperation between different departments and researchers should be facilitated by all means, but no one should be forced to cooperate.

The construction started in 1968. In 1977, it was officially inaugurated, and the 13 meter high sculpture “DNA-molecule” by the Swedish artist Bror Marklund, was unveiled. In 1983, BMC was one of the biggest research centers in Europe with more than 30 departments representing four faculties and two universities situated in the very same building. Today BMC harbors biomedical research and education in different life science areas. The main part belongs to Uppsala University, but there are also units from the Swedish University of Agricultural Science and the Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research. The history of BMC is a history of the development of modern biomedicine, about research and education, which has to be documented, preserved, and displayed for the future.

The actual study aims at investigating and specifying the documents in the BMC-archive in order to make them researchable.

Project members:

Kerstin Hulter Åsberg, senior lecturer

Anders Öckerman